Friday, September 25, 2009

Well, I never clamed to be a movie critic.


Have you seen ‘P.S. I love you’? I have wanted to see this movie since it came out. I mean HELLO GERARD BUTLER! And I even like Hilary Swank, Lisa Kudrow, Kathy Bates AND Harry Connick Jr. It got great reviews, along with a, “YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THIS??!!” from my movie enthusiast sister.

Now, I’m assuming it is a movie about a woman who loses her husband, and he arranged to have delivered to her after his death these pre-written letters requiring her to do certain things, to help her through the grieving process. Did I get that right?

Awwww... that sounds so sweet right?

I am a Jane Austen badge wearing/ enthusiast of love stories (even love lost- and love again stories)/ romantic.

All those who know me know the previous statement to be true.

So why has it taken me this long to watch this movie? I don’t know... at least I had forgotten for a moment.

I sat in my bed having been sick for the last 10 days. Today being Jarrod’s day off of work this week. Empty house do to a loving husband taking our 3yo to run errands (probably doesn’t know what he is in for) and the 11yo in school. I hunker down for some ‘alone time’ and a ‘chick flick’ on a movie channel (for free I might add- thank-you Directv). What could be better right?

‘Shoot I missed the first ten minutes. That’s o.k. probably missed the sad part.’ I think to myself.

WRONG

O.k. here it is. I watched about 25-ish minutes of this movie. Ya, 25(ish) whole gargantuan minutes before I had to turn it off.

I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t watch it. Even if it does have a really good ending, I couldn’t handle the first part. I describe those 25min. as masochistic misery. Why did I want to see this again?

I know it got great reviews, but one has to know their own limits!

I am one who throws themselves into the arts, a book, a piece of classical music, a ballet or play, and even a movie and is usually moved/brought to tears. Why did I think I could have handled this movie?

I blame the cold medicine.

5 comments:

Mariam said...

I totally and completely understand. I love romantic movies, but I CANNOT handle sad movies. So, I usually end up watching romantic comedies (although shallow and usually predictable).

I say, reality is sad enough on its own. I don't need movies, music, books etc. to make me feel a synthetic sad. I haven't watched the movie either, and I don't know that I ever will......

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Listen. You have to watch it. There is no other option. If you really are one who throws yourself into the arts, you will appreciate it even more. You just need to watch it when you are in the mood to cry. I own it and I've watched it at least 8 times and I cry through 75% of it every time. Try again when you are feeling better.

Sami said...

I must add here that while it IS incredibly sad, there are parts when there is definitely laughter through tears. Kinda like a "Steel Magnelias" effect. I also own this movie, and while I don't watch it often (because I too am VERY prone to become overwhelmed with emotion) I do watch it when I need a good cry, but something that will also cheer me up, and make me appreciate what I have. I'm not telling you what to do...but personally, I think this movie is worth the headache you may get later. Then again...I'm not a movie critic either!

Sami said...

I meant "Steel Magnolias" effect. Please pardon my typo...

Rachel said...

THAT"S WHAT I TOLD YOU! You have to WATCH the WHOLE thing :) It get's soooo much better and awesome. Good luck :)